08 September 2011

A decade in Russia and a new beginning


It was on the 1st of September 2001 that I arrived in St. Petersburg to begin my year-long internship as a part of the ELCA Horizon Program. I was excited; I was returning to the country I had fallen in love with while a student at St. Olaf, and I would be contributing to the development of the Lutheran church as it re-emerged after 70 years of repression. It would be just one year, but I was aiming to make the most of it – to meet the other interns, to develop good relationships with my supervisors (one from the ELCA and another from Germany), and to be of use in the congregations (first in St. Petersburg and then in Novgorod).
Leading Worship in Novgorod. 2002.
Well, that single year commitment to the church in Russia has now stretched in to its second decade. So much has changed; both at St. Nikolai's in Novgorod and at the Novosaratovka Seminary, there were many moments that inspired and many others that brought disappointment. And now, as I start a new ministry as a pastor in Novosibirsk, I've decided to be more deliberate about publicly reflecting on the life of the church in this country. When I was located in European Russia, I at least had the illusion of being close to the West; now that I'm in Siberia, it is clear that I am far, far away.

Over the next few months, I hope publish updates here no less frequently than once a week. I'm sure that this discipline will give me the chance to pause and get a bit of perspective, while I hope that it will give you a window into life on the other side of the planet.  

No comments: