08 September 2011

Autumn Notes on Summer Impressions


While usually my time in the United States is focused on talking with congregations about ministry in Russia, this time around I found myself being more alert to some of the specific traits of my home country that I have not always appreciated. While I make no claims to any degree of depth here, a few observations: 
  • Public drinking fountains are great. Why buy bottled water?
  • Chicago is impressive; NYC – perhaps more so.
  • At the same time, for this rural boy at least, the drive between Havre and Lewistown through the Fort Belknap Indian Reservation in central Montana was perhaps even more impressive than the cities.
  • The lack of sidewalks in many urban and suburban areas perplexes me
  • Iowa should grow more tomatoes (even at the expenses of growing less corn)
  • I think being in Minnesota in the summer is more difficult than being in Russia in the winter. 
  • Ben and Jerry's is actually too sweet for my taste.
  • I'm thankful that I had the discipline not to even touch a few of those addictive food (Doritos and Oreos primarily) that I made not have a chance to eat again for three years.
Besides that, a few things about family:

  • My grandparents are taking full advantage of life even at their advanced age. I'm happy for them and find that they are a great example. 
  • It was really good to dedicated a few days time simply to spend with siblings and nieces/nephews this time around. I miss them.
And then, about the trip to and from the U.S.
  • After having a couple of significant layovers in the airport in Amsterdam, Natasha thinks that the Netherlands might just be the best country in the world to live in. It seems that everything there is focused on the comfort and happiness of travelers, and it was really a treat to spend some hours there.
  • My flight took me through Munich as well; free coffee and newspapers there means that I feel a special connection to Bavarians.

No comments: