26 October 2009

Friday, October 16


My sermon for today was not prepared when we were all held in the room, and so I was working on low sleep this morning. Again, though, I felt like I was given the right words for the situation and the people, and hopefully everyone received a word of comfort.
We spent part of the day continuing to talk about what had happened the night before – it was really important for everyone to be able to express their feelings and care for one another. Then I had anticipated that we would close off the day by trying to do something practical – make a few Sunday School lessons based on what we had covered in the days before. As it turned out, as each was describing the Sunday school situation in his or her own church, it became clear that they also had a lot to share, especially about common problems. This, too, it turns out might be important for the future, insofar as it might be the witness that was needed that makes the church do a bit more on the regional level to meet Christian educational needs in congregations (esp., it seems, in training Sunday school leaders).
The day ended with a common worship service. While my liturgical leadership was far from ideal on my lack of sleep, it was good to be together...ah, and I also need to say how, by the end of the week, I was “converted” by the song book that had been used by the congregation in Omsk on Sunday. One of the seminar participants, Denis, someone I've known a long time, did a lot of music leadership during the week; he showed me that among the 2000 (!!!) hymns collected there, there are dozens that a just fine theologically. It, in fact, made me rather sad to see that the new ELCROS hymnal had missed many good opportunities to bring out different theological aspects that still fit into the Lutheran tradition, as well as bring some musical variety – it's clear after that seminar that the new hymnal will not be able to compete with this other pan-Protestant one (“Songs of Renewal”) in terms of songs that are full of feeling (though I must say that the ELCROS hymnal is pretty good at depressing songs) and more popular with young people.
After the seminar, I had good, in-depth discussions with a couple of the students, and had the opportunity to spend a second evening with Andrey and his wife Lena, and that was a real treat...
Off early in the morning!

No comments: